Monday, October 8, 2007

October 5, 2007 – Friday. Calicut to Wayanad


Off to Wayand. The route took us through many villages, towns and plantations. We were plagued by bad roads here as well, but then, we knew this time we were on route to exiting them.

We stopped for grabbing a bite a small joint midway. The place was clean to sit and have a bite and tea. The famous Parotta’s came hot along with traditional mallu gram curry. We hogged like never before. The serving boy put two glasses of colored liquid on our table.

When I asked what it was. I found out it was drinking water. Yellow colored! This is the water all of them consumed. And we talk of literacy levels and communism and equality. When the bloody state can’t offer people simple clear drinking water, the rest of the promises and festivals is complete hog wash and nonsensical. Gods own country my foot. All this amidst plantations ... twistin by the hill side.

I suddenly hated myself yet again. What are we as a civilization? What have we become? This was worse than stone age. And here we’re spending a few crores on cricketers? Shame on our souls. I wished I could do something about it.

Waynad was spent in brooding over my own soul. Dark and grim thoughts in mind.

Moving on? Click here.

3 comments:

Supriya said...

Educative post - in most places in Kerala the water served is yellow or light golden brown - and warm. This is called nannari vellam - it is water boiled with a herb to make it more norishing and refreshing. The yellow could be jeera water - which would be used as a substitute for nannari in some places. Plain water is served in slightly bigger hotels - always on request. So be thankful - for the extra fortified water you were served. You should have tasted it first. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well well well!!! I came here to explain what that yellow water might have been and saw that someone already did it...
My two cents on this...
As you are a traveler, the next time when u r on a unknown territory and u come across something which is different, ask somebody who knows it!!! It will not cause any harm and who knows, it may even be helpful for u. :)

:- Lijo

Anonymous said...

U said it Supriya...one who hadn't tasted it, cannot complaint about it. I travelled a lot in India but no where I could found a clean dabas (I mean tea-shops) like Kerala where things are served well.